Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newly diagnosed- random questions :)
mollys284 posted:
I was officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago, but have had symptoms for the past 3 months. I'm 32 years old and have also had Type 1 diabetes for 22 years, so apparently my immune system really doesn't like me!

I have taken 2 doses of methotrexate. I had assumed that once I got rolling on MTX that I would start to feel better and hopefully go back to living my life. My doctor had said it will take about 3-6 weeks to feel any different and 3-6 months to know if the MTX is really helping. My primary joints that are affected are my elbow (which I cannot straighten, but I'm working on it), fingers, neck, and my feet which hurt tremendously.

My problem is I have read a lot of blogs and online discussions where people with RA don't really seem to get better, they seem to get worse. I have noticed new joint swelling and pain, that has just started in the past week. Should I prepare myself that the rest of my life will be filled with morning pain/stiffness, exhaustion, and the inability to do normal tasks? Or is this just one big flare that I'm going through? I really don't understand what exactly a flare is.

I have also read that a lot of people don't take their folic acid on the day they take MTX..is there a reason for that?

Also- in regards to biologics, did a lot of you start right away on them with MTX? I have read that it can be good to treat this disease aggressively from the beginning.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Molly

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.