Newly diagnosed- random questions :)
mollys284 posted:
I was officially diagnosed 2 weeks ago, but have had symptoms for the past 3 months. I'm 32 years old and have also had Type 1 diabetes for 22 years, so apparently my immune system really doesn't like me!

I have taken 2 doses of methotrexate. I had assumed that once I got rolling on MTX that I would start to feel better and hopefully go back to living my life. My doctor had said it will take about 3-6 weeks to feel any different and 3-6 months to know if the MTX is really helping. My primary joints that are affected are my elbow (which I cannot straighten, but I'm working on it), fingers, neck, and my feet which hurt tremendously.

My problem is I have read a lot of blogs and online discussions where people with RA don't really seem to get better, they seem to get worse. I have noticed new joint swelling and pain, that has just started in the past week. Should I prepare myself that the rest of my life will be filled with morning pain/stiffness, exhaustion, and the inability to do normal tasks? Or is this just one big flare that I'm going through? I really don't understand what exactly a flare is.

I have also read that a lot of people don't take their folic acid on the day they take MTX..is there a reason for that?

Also- in regards to biologics, did a lot of you start right away on them with MTX? I have read that it can be good to treat this disease aggressively from the beginning.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Molly