Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Will I have to sell a body part to pay for this?
singingbear posted:
I was just given my test results over the phone Friday and they confirm RA. I have been researching everything I can to prepare for my appt on the 9th. I have insurance but even with that finances are tight. Just wondering if the various treatments for RA are expensive and what can I expect when I get to the pharmacy? I know this kind of question is hard to answer since I don't yet know what meds I might be on. Are some options more expensive then others? Just don't want to be caught off guard. I have had enough of that over the last 6 months. This time last year I was crawling on the floor and playing with my beautiful nieces and nephews. Tonight I struggle to put any weight on my knees. What a roller coaster ride!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
There are two classes of drugs for treating RA.DMARDS which are oral and generic and biologics, which are given by intnravenous route or injection and can be very expensive. If you have commercial insurance and you are prescribed a biologic, ask your doctor about discount cards provided by the drug companies. Most also have programs for patients who have limited income, and in those cases it may be free of charge. If you are under medicare and have no secondary, you may find the biologics given by intravenous route is much less costly as it is given in an office or hospital and typically covered by medicare.

singingbear replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you.

grandmakathy42 responded:
I have other medical problems besides my RA and with my RA my drugs with my insurance are not to bad until about November when I fall into the donut hole. Also last November my rhemotologist found osteoporosis in my spine. Guess that desease is common with RA. I have a bleeding ulcer so there is only one Osteoporosis medicine I can take with the bleeding. Atelvia. Once a week. FOUR pill a month. $500.00!!! We are both retired living on our social security and a little retirement check from my husbands job. So my doctor gave me some samples. I go back to see him every 4 weeks and he gives me 4 samples. Well this time he gave me 4 samples but I don't go back for 6 weeks so I am going to have to buy the medicine. Now that my doctor has convinced my insurance company this medicine is necessary my insurance will help pay for it. My co-pay is only 267.00 a month. Also, wanted to let you know - if you happen to be on medicare and your doctor will write a prescription for it you get a power chair or scooter and medicare will pay for in. All of it. Much better for the knees. I need knee replacements but because of other medical problems I cannot have surgery unless it is life threating so the chair is a life saver for knees. Hope all went well for you yesterday and hope you had no surprise meds but remember to ask your doctor if he has samples.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.