Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Your new WebMD Message Boards are now open!

    Making the move is as easy as 1-2-3.

    1. Head over to this page:

    2. Choose the tag from the drop-down menu that clicks most with you (and add it to any posts you create so others can easily find and sort through posts)

    3. Start posting

    Have questions? Email us anytime at

    Includes Expert Content
    questions once again
    micbrewski posted:
    I was just on facebook( RA chicks)Is there a new blood test for Ra now ?
    My first Dr said my tests were negative for RA. Still don't have a Dx yet. I am not taking any Meds right now. Dealing with the pain day to day. I went for a second opinion he (Dr) said he knew my tests would come back negative but I have Ra. My Insurance would not pay out so I can not see him anymore. But any way getting back to my question is there a new test for Ra called anti-CCP and is it the same as the ANA of Rf factor? Is a better test to Dx? Still looking for answers. Thanks for you help, Roxann
    micbrewski responded:
    Is there anyone here any more??
    singingbear responded:

    I am still very new to the world of RA but I did run across this article. Might help answer your question.
    Scott Zashin, MD responded:
    CCP stands for Cyclic Citrullinated Peptide. Antibodies to this molecule are felt to be diagnostic of RA when present in moderate to high levels. This test may be positive when the RF is negative. While it is a much newer test than the RF, it has been around for almost 10 years. It is possible that patients with the presence of this antibody have a higher risk of developing more severe RA, but this is not confirmed and I have patients with this antibody who have mild disease.
    micbrewski replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
    Thank you for your reply.

    Helpful Tips

    Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
    Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 48 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.