Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Getting Off the Prednisolone Dragon
mike201 posted:
Hello All

I write from the land down under where RA is rife too although Kangaroos don't seem to have it. I have been diagnosed as 'severe' and am now on Enbrel, Prednisolone, Arava and a have access to a range of narcotic pain killers. I used to be a fitness freak but not any more. I have a question for both the expert doctor and all other readers.

After 400 days on Prednisolone (80 days at 40mg) the drug crabs you like a pair of dragon claws. Trying to get off it causes flares and provides a very rough ride, as most of you already know. I am now on my eighth attempt and am starting from 6mg per day, dropping 0.5mg per month. I want to get to zero. My research suggests that the only method of withdrawal is to taper the doses - as I am doing. This works for some. My question is: what other methods or substitute chemicals are available to successfully facilitate the withdrawal without the wild ride?

There appears to be no research in this area!!! In fact , much of the literature I have been reading suggests that 5mg of Prednisolone per day over 5-10 years can have horrendous health impacts.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Mike
I will sometimes try every other day prednisone to help.my patients with tapering. It seems like you have come a long way on your taper. Sometimes the last few milligrams are the toughest. Don't give up.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 44 found this helpful