Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Getting Off the Prednisolone Dragon
mike201 posted:
Hello All

I write from the land down under where RA is rife too although Kangaroos don't seem to have it. I have been diagnosed as 'severe' and am now on Enbrel, Prednisolone, Arava and a have access to a range of narcotic pain killers. I used to be a fitness freak but not any more. I have a question for both the expert doctor and all other readers.

After 400 days on Prednisolone (80 days at 40mg) the drug crabs you like a pair of dragon claws. Trying to get off it causes flares and provides a very rough ride, as most of you already know. I am now on my eighth attempt and am starting from 6mg per day, dropping 0.5mg per month. I want to get to zero. My research suggests that the only method of withdrawal is to taper the doses - as I am doing. This works for some. My question is: what other methods or substitute chemicals are available to successfully facilitate the withdrawal without the wild ride?

There appears to be no research in this area!!! In fact , much of the literature I have been reading suggests that 5mg of Prednisolone per day over 5-10 years can have horrendous health impacts.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Mike
I will sometimes try every other day prednisone to help.my patients with tapering. It seems like you have come a long way on your taper. Sometimes the last few milligrams are the toughest. Don't give up.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.