Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Methotrexate - might not want to dismiss it
santabarbara4u posted:
Much research I am reading supports the idea continuing methotrexate with biologics is more effective than biologics alone. Anyone know why? I am determined to put a screeching halt to this RA damage!

Mike201 responded:
Yes your research is correct but it can be the other related drugs as well. For example, I am on Arava plus Enbrel as Methotrexate disagreed with me. So far my biologic seems to be losing the battle so the plan is to try another in April. Mike

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
There may be a synergistic response to the two drugs combined. In other words, the two together do better than either drug alone. Not sure why this occurs. If you take 100 patients, those taking a combination of MTX plus biologics will have a better chance of success than those taking either alone. That being said, there are some patients who take a biologic alone or MTX alone and do just as well as the combination group.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.