Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Arm and leg heaviness
ifeelveryalone posted:
I haven't officially been diagnosed with RA but doctors are treating me for it. It started with severe joint pain and stiffness but has been much better with medications. I've been on medication for about a year or so now. Something new that has developed is that sometimes suddenly my arms and legs will feel heavy. Like it takes extra effort to hold them up. My arms will even get tired from just holding a glass of water. Is anyone else having this problem? Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

rastable responded:
Ya, I call it muscle fatigue. It is much different than the feeling you get from a workout where muscles are tired.it feels like there is no energy or ability to will the muscles to react. That's just my description. But it is very frustrating and disheartening. I get confused on whether it's the RA or medication. Methotrexate seems to fatigue me. I am lucky that my progression has been slow but it is still heading the wrong direction. I work FT and much more with almost no time off in the 10'years with RA. But sometimes you wonder how long you can hold out. The main thing is chin up and keep moving forward while taking care of yourself and making sure your doc is taking care of you.

Joybloc responded:
I have been dealing with heavy arms and legs too. I thought it was from Fibromyalgia. I feel good enough to clean house and wash clothes and next day I am in pain and fatigue and weak.I just got on Disability,I lost my job due to my health. I am 52 years old,Female and so sick of feeling like this.My RA doctor gave me muscle relaxants,pain pills,antidepressants,sleep medications.I live day by day. I am thankful I have my mom to help me when I need her.

bigearl4469 replied to Joybloc's response:
Wow Joybloc. I am 65.5. I often experience a heaviness in my legs. Swollen hands and feet, fatigue, and weakness. If I step on something, a jolt of electricity seems to go through the affected leg. I've been in recovery for almost 28 years so won't just take any meds. Ocassionally I'm depressed. The nature of my job is assisting people with chronic homelessness and mild mental illness so I have to wear the facade lile I'm okay. On top of it all, I'm diagnosed with degenerative cervical arthrits and am a Vietnam era Vet. This arthritis has to go! Like you, I lieve one day at a time, but am grateful that the the man upstairs has given me another day.

dogsandbooks responded:
I've had the same heavy feeling in my legs while walking in the back yard but always forget to ask about that when at my rheumatologist's for my RA. I'd like to know the cause too.

xperky responded:
I have Fibromyalgia and possible RA. Sometimes my legs get so heavy they feel like water-soaked logs. At that time, the more I move, the more heavy they feel. Pain and numbness sets in too. It becomes so I absolutely must stop, sit and rest because moving any more is not an option.

My arms will get heavy too. Some days it's difficult to shampoo my hair because my arms don't want to be up in that position.

Another problem for me is possible MS, and that can also cause these symptoms. So my poor doctors have their hands full when I walk in! It's hard to figure out the causes.

In any case, I've learned not to push on the days I feel like that. It's enough to get done what has to be done and rest as often as possible.

Has your doctor ruled out Fibromyalgia? It can accompany RA. I hope you don't have any new problems and that your treatments continue to help your pain and stiffness.

lomein55 replied to xperky's response:
I am also suffering from RA and fibromyalgia. My legs and arms also feel very heavy and numb at times. I try to accomplish one goal a day, and maybe more if I can. I am taking Humira and Plaquenil for the RA and Lyrica for the fibromyalgia. They seem to help, but of course I have good days and bad days. On the bad days I try to rest more and on the good days I can walk for exercise. I like to garden, but can only do a bit at a time. Is there anything else I can do to ease the symptoms? Thank you

xperky replied to lomein55's response:
Hi lomein55. I know what you mean about the good days and bad days.

I also like to garden and have learned to limit it...or else! I'm looking forward to planting my hanging baskets in the next week or two. I used to plant all kinds of annuals, but now I'm content with just a few.

You might try posting on the Fibromyalgia support site here on WebMD. It is an active site and the people there have lots of good ideas for treating the FM symptoms. Lots of understanding there too. There are Tips on the right side of the front page there too.

Hope you are enjoying a little Spring gardening.

lomein55 replied to xperky's response:
Thank you for your input. I will go to the Fibromyalgia site and get some tips. It's like one or two days I may have energy, and the next 4 or 5 days I hurt and have no energy. I know what you mean limit it or else. I'm upset that I am disabled and can't work;it makes me feel guilty, like its my fault.
I am enjoying some Spring gardening thank you. Be well.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Going gluten free
Hi! I just wanted to share my journey with y'all! I am only 24 and have had rheumatoid arthritis Since the age of 12. I was on ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.