Skip to content
Does Weather Impact YOUR Joint Pain?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
And have you noticed that your joints hurt more when the weather changes? Can your pain predict the weather?

For more on this:
Weather and Joint Pain
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

rastable responded:
Yes, I know some believe this is just a tale. I have noticed significant discomfort with weather changes. I have been told it may have to do with the barometric pressure.

bethx222 responded:
LOL I am better than the weatherman. My husband had a bet with me, just under 2 weeks ago, saying that the weather was supposed to be cloudy, but no rain was forecast. I told him that my hands and knees said differently, so we bet on it. Sure enough, we had a thunderstorm by 6pm.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Thanks Rastable and Beth,

It's always good to hear from people who are in the trenches, so to speak. Love that bet, Beth!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

TreeTopL responded:
I have not noticed any connection to the weather changes for my aches and pains since my diagnosis 7 years ago. Stress is the only thing that definitely has a connection.

"Look, one day I had gone to a little village. An old grandfather of ninety was busy planting an almond tree. 'What, grandfather!' I exclaimed. 'Planting an almond tree?' And he, bent as he was, turned around and said: 'My son, I carry on as if I should never die.' "

"015 Nikos Kazantzakis, Zorba the Greek

MidwestLady responded:
My friends refer to me as the "barometric bod." I can flare up with impending storms and rapid changes in temperature (20 degrees up or down). Precipitation always causes pain and stiffness and killer fatigue, but the absolute worst is when it's cold and raining or snowing.

I dream of moving to the southwest, where it's warm and dry. Can someone in Arizona please tell me that their RA symptoms lessened as soon as they arrived there? Please!

mike201 responded:
Absolutely, once the temperature drops to below around 20 degrees Celsius (Australia) my pain increases markedly. Cold and RA are not compatible from my perspective. Cheers, Mike

ms000624 responded:
I have not noticed any additional joint pain from my Rheumatoid Arthritis when rain is forecast. The Osteoarthritis in my knees, however, is affected when precipitation is on its way.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.