Skip to content
Constipation & RA
An_244488 posted:
I'm having severe difficulty with constipation and I can't get in to see the rheumatologist for another two weeks. Any suggestions for what I can do in the interim?

I definitely have the urge but can't eliminate. I've added laxatives, more fiber, etc., but all it's done is give me more discomfort without successful elimination. At this point I'm nauseaus, too.

I've had RA since I was 4 (I'm now 49). I've been on Enbrel for the last 12 years or so with the more recent (1 yr.) addition of Methotrexate, no narcotics or steroids. I eat very well, drink a lot of water, exercise. I've researched all the vitamins and meds to see if any of it would cause the digestive problems. The only med I take that may be questionable is .5 mg/Lorazepam at bedtime for sleep.

me_n_my_4 responded:
Hi An_244488,

Sorry to hear that you are going through so much trouble but trust me I can relate you. I have been trying the same things you have but I got tired of taking the laxatives and pretty much adding other meds in addition to the ones that I was only on just to be able to go to the bathroom. Of course all the normal things does help, exercise, water etc... but in addition to that something that I noticed that really work for me (don't laugh) I have started to eat activia you know the yogurt that you see on TV and to my surprise I have been regular every since starting it and I had a relative try it too and they have been seeing an improvement as well.

I am not one to try things I lot on TV because there are a lot of gimmicks but this one actually works. When I don't eat it for a couple of days or forget it my problems always come back. I eat it once a day and it works and best of all its yummy to my tummy. Hope this helps some there is nothing worse than going through all the issues that we do with the RA and any other issues we might have but to put the icing on the cake with bowel issues is no fun. Please let me know if you have tried it or if you do try it let men know how it works.

871juniper replied to me_n_my_4's response:
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it a try. I suspect it's the PProbiotics (active cultures) in the yogurt which I know will help. Sometimes, we forget the obvious!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.