Skip to content
Methotrexate and missed period
lhayes2897 posted:
Hi. I am 29 years old and after dealing undiagnosed for 6 months (blood work always came back negative for anything) I was finaly and greatfully diagnosed with RA. My arthritis dr. prescribed Methotrexate @ 20mg once per week. It took about 8 weeks for me to feel the results, but they are amazing! I just went for my follow up and had blood work dont to make sure the medicine isnt causing any issues with my body and my labs came back great. However, since i have started the medicine I have developed a deep dry cough, not too big of a deal. My main consern and why I am here, is I am currently 7 Days late on my MC. I have always been like clockwork when it comes to that. I have been pregnant twice, and both were planned with my current husband. I use an ovulation/period tracker to know when I am ovulating and when I am supposed to start, makes life much easier with one less thing to think about. We are careful about pregnancy and have never had any "scares". The only thing that has changed in the last 2 months is this medicine. Last month I was 1 day late, and this month now 7. I have taken 3 hpt all in the first of the morning and all have come up negative. I have done lots of reading on Methotrexate, from what I have read, in rare cases it can cause missed periods and affect fertility. I asked my RA Dr. about this and they said at the dose I am taking the medicine "shouldnt" be to blame for this, I also asked a pharmacist with the same results. The pharmacist said at such low doses and my age, the medicine shouldn't be causeing this problem either. I am really nervous though, because we have not made the decision to be completly done with kids, and I am worried that continuing the medication might hender that. Has any other women had an issue with this matter? What were the results?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

It's now over a week later... is your period still missing? I hope that other women here will have some feedback for you. Keep talking with your doctors about it too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

JustJilli responded:
Hi,

I did have a lot of trouble with MTX affecting my cycle. Like you, it freaked me out. However, I have since gone off it, and things are back to normal.

As they say, your results may vary, but I did find that was really an issue for me--one month skipped (entirely!!) and then later such a heavy MC that I really thought something was wrong.

However, your endocrine system can be affected by the RA, so that may be the culprit as well (see my post from today about this). Since the MTX is working for you, I might see if your body adjusts. So many of us go from no meds to ALL THESE MEDS, and our bodies have to make the adjustment. It's a wonder there isn't more with regard to missed cycles, etc.

I hope everything turns out fine!

lanoel responded:
I to recently started methotrexate and have had minimal to no menstral cycle since May. I normally could have set my watch by my cycle and have barely needed sanitary products since starting my meds . My md was reluctant to start me on meds because I am only 31. I asked about my periods at my follow up appointment however was told it couldn't be med related. This could potentially be a big problem and if anyone has answers I would appreciate the insight.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.