Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
RA nodules
sfonseca7 posted:

Is it possible to get RA nodules on the roof of your mouth?
Scott Zashin, MD responded:
I have not seen encountered nodules in the mouth. Rheumatoid nodules often occur in areas of increased pressure such as the elbow. I will see it on the fingers and it can occur more commonly in patients on methorexate. If one of my patiens presented with nodules on the upper palate, I would ask them to discuss with their dentist for an opinion.
sfonseca7 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
the nodule on the roof my mouth has been seen by a dentist. he has no clue. MD said to see an oral surgeon. sores and nodule were there before starting methorexate. thank you for answering. i will keep up with my meds. and see an oral surgeon.
Tooterbug1964 responded:
Hello, this is the first time I have ever chatted on line on any site, so please bear with me. Last year I got a nodule on my upper gum, it is big and hard, dentists and endodontist have absolutely no clue what it is, then that summer, started to get severe joint pain, at that time I already had had a diagnosis of mixed connective tissue disease and fibromyalgia. But this joint pain wouldn't cease, my rheumatologist put me on ultram. Then in April Ideveloped nodules on my ankles and knees and wrists and now diagnoses with RA. I believe the nodule on my gum is a RA nodule. Susan
sfonseca7 replied to Tooterbug1964's response:
I think so too.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 44 found this helpful