Skip to content
Anxiety and Depression and RA
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
One-third of people 45 and older with arthritis report that they are depressed or anxious, a new study shows.

And anxiety may even be more common than depression among these people.

"The emotional consequences of arthritis are high," says researcher Louise Murphy, PhD. She is an epidemiologist in the division of population health at the CDC in Atlanta.

Many doctors are trained to routinely look for symptoms of depression in people with chronic pain conditions like arthritis, but focusing on symptoms of anxiety may also be needed. In the new study, rates of anxiety were almost twice as high as those of depression.

We know there are emotional consequences to having a chronic and degenerative pain condition. We've often seen discussions about this here before. Are depression and/or anxiety part of the picture for you? If so, have you discussed this with your doctor and do you have support? How do you cope?

Perhaps sharing your ideas may help others here.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

2_M_U_C_H_Pains_NO_MO responded:
For the past three years I have been treated for Bipolar disorder, Depression, and PTSD. In addition to the treatment I recieve for psychological disorders I am being treated for treat degenerative Disc Disease(DDD) and arthritis. The one treatment that I can say that worked best was biofeedback hypnosis. The only problem is that biofeedback hypnosis pain management is hard to maintian throughout the day depending on the type of work environment.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to 2_M_U_C_H_Pains_NO_MO's response:
Hi and welcome,

You're not the first person I've read who says that biofeedback has really helped them, including when it comes to dealing with pain. Thank you for sharing your experience on this.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.