Skip to content
Can pain free days be ahead?
singingbear posted:
I was dx with RA and knee osteoarthritis in January and started treatment with methotrexate in Feb. I still experience pain everyday even with prednisone and aleve. It is not always bad pain but it is always there. Will there ever be a day when I can wake and not dread climbing out of bed? Even when the pain is mild the day after day of it overwhelms me. I dream of the day when I can get up, get ready for work and get out of chairs without pain. I am only 33 and want to be able to work in my new beautiful backyard and play with my very active nieces and nephews. I do what I can but usually spend the next day wiped out. Just need to know things will eventually get better with treatment. I understand that there will always be bad days here and there but please tell me there will be good days as well.

Take the Poll

How has your treatment effected your level of pain?
  • Mild to Moderate Pain everyday
  • Pain a few days a week
  • Pain a few days a month
  • Flares a few times a year
  • No pain
vote
View Poll Results

mike201 responded:
Hi Singingbear

You are in difficulties and so sorry to read this. I am older - 58 - but have had exactly the same RA including the knee bit - my right one. I have severe full body RA and was diagnosed 16 months ago. Medications include Embrel, Prednisone, Arava and Oxycontin. The other drugs failed to work. Up until Embrel I was in severe pain every day. There is a strong link between pain and depression so REALLY watch this.

Yes, there will be a day when things get better. Hang in there as it may take up to 12 months. I am still not pain free but things are much better. I have pain most days but it is generally mild to moderate. Make sure you get a good GP to put you on a pain management routine. This is vital to keep depression away and to make your life more functional.

I do have good days and so will you. Things do get better and you are not alone. Try joining a support group of fellow RA people. I have found that taking a little control helps. Educate yourself about RA via the web; take up an anti inflammation diet; learn meditation; exercise as best you can; seek out your friends. Make sure you have an rheumatologist NOT just a GP.

Very happy to chat to you further, if needed. I have had to stop work but am enjoying the change . Things will improve. Take car. Mike

An_245367 replied to mike201's response:
Singingbear, I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was in your exact same place this time last year. I was diagnosed with RA last April only a few weeks after I turned 25. I too was overwhelmed with the idea that I would never be pain free again. It took a while for me to start feeling good again and then even longer before I was pain free but I got there in the end! It can happen! Be patient, it was nearly 8 months before I was pain free and I'm only just now starting to hope it will stay that way. Be aggressive, there are good medicines out there now that can keep you functional and living life the way you want to. You're still at the beginning of this road, so don't loose heart, it gets better!!! Hang in there, stay positive. Make sure you have good communication and good followup with your doctor. Find someone who is willing to listen to you and who will help you achieve your goals. Don't settle for less than what you need. I hope you start feeling better soon!

singingbear replied to An_245367's response:
Thank you both for the positive feedback. I am happy to report that the last couple of days have been far better then I have felt in sometime. I can actually walk through the store where I work with some of my old speed instead of a half limp and pain with every step. I am hopeful that I will soon be able to taper off the prednisone as I have seen the effects of long term use and plan to avoid that. I am also looking forward to returning to my walking routine in the near future. I know that the walking makes me feel better but have not had the energy to endure that initial push through the pain. Here is to brighter days ahead.

SureHope replied to mike201's response:
Hey I read your reply and noticed that you mentioned an anti inflammation diet. I have been researching that very topic and have been seeking advice and ideas. I'm ony 25 so I feel like the best years of my life are being taken away by my RA I go to bed in pain, I wake up in pain...I am always in pain...I just want a few days every once in a while where I'm not in pain.

I'd appreciate any ideas or advice you may have.

~SureHope

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.