Skip to content
Worst Part About Having RA?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've sometimes talked about what you've learned about yourselves now that RA is part of your life. But this week I'm wondering what - for you - is the worst part about having Rheumatoid Arthritis? You can list as many things as you want.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

allisonmstrait responded:
The absolute worst part for me is the age that I was diagnosed with RA. I was only 16, but younger when I started noticing everything. Have had it for about 2-3 years now. The pain and swelling is just too much for me sometimes to even be able to do the things I wished I could do.

SureHope responded:
I think your Joseph Campbell quote says it all! We indeed must let go of the life we may have had planned...

To me that is the worst thing. That I'm a 25 year old and my grandmother can run circles around me. Able to do things that I cannot. I can't bend down and kneel on the floor, I can't open anything without help or assisstance from others, sometimes I need help getting dressed. It takes me 10 mins. to put on a pair of socks...nylons you might as well forget it...that's a 30 min project. There was so much that I have yet to do...and now I may never even get the chance to do it at all.

I have to let it go...I have to realize my limitations and do everything I can to avoid losing what functioning I do have.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to allisonmstrait's response:
Hi Allison,

It seems we're getting more members in here who are dealing with this at a very young age. I hope that means you'll each find support with one another. This disease is hard enough without that.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to SureHope's response:
Letting go really can be difficult, can't it?

FYI, I don't have RA but have another pain condition and my mother who is in her early 80s, has had two strokes and a bad heart can also run circles around me most of the time.

Mamijen responded:
I'm a 27 yr old single mother of 2 little boys, ages 3 and 16 months. The worst part of RA is how it affects them. I make sure they know how much I love them and we take advantage of the good days, but sometimes I can't play with them as much as they deserve. I feel like the worst mother ever. Some days I can't cook so its takeout or microwave. They hate showers but sometimes I can't give them a bath because of the pain. My 3 yr old helps me with the laundry and dishes because he knows his mommy hurts.
Another thing is knowing whats coming. My grandmother had RA and I knew she was in pain when I was very young. I realize there's more treatment options now, but seeing what it can do to a person scares me to death.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Mamijen's response:
You're right, Mamijen; there are more treatment options now.

Re your children, I am sure you're not alone in how you feel about that. I don't have RA but have another pain condition and felt similarly as my sons were growing. They are now grown and living their lives but I do feel that they have a lot of empathy for others, partly due to living with me all those years. As hard as this is for you, they will be okay with your love and the quality of time you DO spend with them. (((softhugs)))

mike201 responded:
Bad RA Bits

Failing to leap out of bed in a fresh and energetic manner
Having to reduce my cycling from 80 kms a day to 3 km a day
Difficulty in predicting my health status a day ahead
Being unable to guarantee turning up at a dinner party
Being hit with fatigue at any tick of the clock
Occasionally going to a dark depressive hole
Love-making can be almost impossible without careful planning, nothing carefree there
Constantly taking tablets
Seeing how hard it all is on my wife
Brain fog and rotating pains reduce a good day
The loss of what was!

Mike

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.