Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
flare-up?
jbf24 posted:
I was diagnosed with RA in March '09, which also was my last flare-up. I haven't been on any medication either. About 5 weeks ago I started to get the joint pain in my knees, ankles, and toes. I saw my rhuemie who said I had runner's knees ( I do exercise daily but was pretty sure I didn't have runner's knee). Went to see my ortho MD because the knee pain was continuing/getting worse and now I had slight swelling. He gave me a cortisone shot and said to f/u with either him or my RA doc. I followed up with the rheumatologist. Again she said it's not my RA. The pain started to get worse, my knees looked like grapefruits, but the swelling in my ankle went down. I f/u with the ortho again, who aspirated 240 ml synovial fluid from my knee. Tests came back normal for the fluid, ccp is elevated slightly (but that's high for me) and no RH factor. Now the pain is still in my knees (can't walk down steps, extremely stiff, pain in the back of the knees, still slightly swollen...) and my wrists now have pain, difficulty moving, gripping, can't hold heavier objects. Since my rheumatologist says it's not RA and my knee doctor understands there is some sort of inflammation, I'm starting to feel as if this is all in my head and I'm becoming discouraged. Could this be my RA in in nontraditional manner or something else. Thanks!

singingbear responded:
I also have suffered with knee pain, stiffness, and swelling since March of '11. I was finally refered to a Rheum. and was dx with RA. He said, however, that he does not feel my knee pain in from RA. He believes that the trouble with my knees is Osteoarthritis. I find it hard to believe that the RA does not have more to do with my knee pain since it seems to have just started out of nowhere and continued to get worse over a handful of months. Despite the traditional path of RA most of my pains are in my knees, ankles, and feet with very few problems with my hands and elbows. I also feel that I could just be a nontraditional RA patient.

FightingRA replied to singingbear's response:
When I have an issue that causes my RA to flare, I definitely get flares in my knees and ankles. (As well as any other joint in my body). Read my blog... ra-fighter.blogspot.com Since this is early in your RA development, this may be the best time to try the antibiotic protocol, instead of taking the poisons normally prescribed for RA

Best of luck to you

Mamijen responded:
Has anyone done xrays? Thats what tipped off my doctor. I tested negative for RA for a year, but my doctor kept testing because the xrays showed classic symptoms. She gave me plaquenil since side effects are not so bad, and told me if i saw improvement it could only be RA or lupus. I got a little better but still negative on bloodwork. My doctor was convinced it was RA based on my response to meds and x rays. So YES you can test negative for RA and have it. My grandmother had it for 45 years and never got a positive result on bloodwork. I too thought (and hoped) it was all in my head. I suggest finding another rheumatologist because it sounds like yours isn't considering your symptoms as seriously as he should.

jbf24 replied to Mamijen's response:
Thanks everyone for your comments! I'm seeing a new doctor this week and I'm feeling slightly better in my knees. This new doctor is still in the same hospital system as my current doctor so I made another appointment with a doctor in a different system as a backup. Unfortunately it will take about 4 weeks to get in to see her.

I've good things about plaquenil. I've also had xrays on my knees but my rheumatologist didn't say anything about them. I'm counting down the days until I see the new doctor.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.