Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just started accepting I have RA
SexyRagirl posted:

Hello everyone, my name is SexyRAgirl and I'm new to this site. I was diagnosed with RA January of 2010. I'll be 40 years old come August. I live an active lifestyle, I work out 4-5 days a week, run small charity races, eat healthy, and have a great social life. The day before Thanksgiving of 2010, I woke up and couldn't move. I had terrible pain that I've never felt before in my shoulders and knees. I went to the doctor and he told me the symptoms that I was experiencing was between Lupus and RA. I know people who have Lupus and who have died from Lupus. I said GOD, if it has to be one of them, I rather none of them but I rather it be RA. The results came back and I learned 2 things that day, I had RA and that my life was about to change in a major way. As of January 2012., I just started accepting the fact that I have this horrible disease and now I'm ready to fight back!

I'm the type of person where I will NOT be defeated. I might fall down for a minute but you better believe I'm going to get back up FIGHTING. I started the year off doing lots of research on foods, vitamins, herbs, spices, fruits and vegetables that help not only reduce inflammation but helps build the immune system. I went out and bought a juicer and I now juice three-four days a week. I also bought the Health Master by Montel Williams and I make fresh protein shakes and vegetable drinks, using fresh fruits and vegetables. When cooking I use herbs and spices that also helps reduce the inflammation. For those of you reading this please keep in mind, I'm not in denial that in doing all of this it will make my RA go away. But if I can have some of my life back I think it's worth a try. My goal going forward is to have more good days than bad ones.

This is just the beginning of my new life living with RA. I am too young and sexy to let RA win me over! I look forward to reading your post, blogs, exchanging health tips, recipes, experiences, treatment methods and suggestions from all of you! Let's Rock RA Family!!!

mike201 responded:
Thanks SexyRAgirl for your fun and determined reply. Interesting your RA start was almost identical to mine - very sudden where everyday life crashed heavily. The first 12 months were awful.

I too try and fight back with:
- internet research
- useful web tools
- major diet changes along the lines you outlined
- meditation for pain. Really works well for 50%
- exercise every second day
- work with my local RA society
- lost my job but now enjoy doing charity work part-time just to keep engaged.

I have a great rheumatologist and was stable until three weeks ago for a few months. I am now in trouble again and have developed Sjogen's Syndrome. Pain in the ass! Big challenge is to get stable so that I can capture the day and rip in to life. Mike

SureHope responded:
Hey welcome to the RA family...I'm new myself actually. I understand what it's like to feel like you're life has been taken from you and the need to somehow get it back. I'm only 25 but have been experiencing symptoms for the last 4-5 years.

I knew something was seriously wrong...so I was willing to accept the diagnosis once it was finally confirmed. I've done numerous research, looking up anti-inflammatory diets and suggested exercise routines. I've got tons of info. And lots of links to some interesting youtube videos by numerous doctors who approach things through tradtional methods as well as the not so tradtional ones.

So let me know if you are looking for something specific...I likely found something about what you might need or are interested in learning more about.

~Surehope

SexyRagirl replied to mike201's response:
Wow..you lost your job?! I'm trying to hold on to mine. It's hard! My doctor wants to put me on disability but I can't live off that amount every month. I'm doing some research on disability benefits but in the meantime trying to pay bills off just in case I have to take that route.
Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I live in the Chicago area. I was thinking of relocating somewhere warm. Winter frightens the hell out me, Lol.
You are going to think I'm crazy but I took myself off the medication. It scares me to think of the side affects such as kidney and liver damage. I mean damn what do you have left after those two are gone.
I only take it during the winter months starting August through March. I know doctors don't recommend that or like hearing that but I have to try something to live longer.I already have Thyroid. Like last night up until this morning i was in pain. Chicago weather sucks! It was like 80-90;'s last week now its back winter cold and raining therefore my body began to act up again yesterday. By the way, what's Sjogen's Syndrome?
Let's Rock RA Family!

SexyRagirl replied to SureHope's response:
OMG...Surehope! 25 years old?! Okay... this is just not fair. It's going to be alright. I have hope that doctors, scientist, wellness centers will find a cure. If not a cure better medications with less side affects.
I am definetly interested in traditional and non traditional methods. I look at the world as ANYTHING is possible. I believe in miracles. I will be 40 in August but I'm like you I'm the prime of my life. There is no way I'm going out like this, LOL!
Let's Rock RA Family!

SureHope replied to SexyRagirl's response:
Yea totally not fair!! And that's just now that I know what it is...I spent years trying to find out before that no knowing what was happening to me that the worst time in my life...

I found these videos to be helpful!

Rheumatoid Arthritis by other means than traditional methods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGHCtDHjWpY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IejsElRaO4c&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e14Kxo0bzwA&feature=related

The Answered Patient:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJNQ4FPF0w

Explanation of what it does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kOuma9Ad-E&feature=fvwrel

mike201 replied to SureHope's response:
Hi SexyRAgirl and SureHope

Yes, lost my job. I am fairly serious re my RA. Without drugs I am not able to walk more than a few steps so I have no intention of stopping my drugs. Yes, the drugs are heavy and dangerous but what choice do I have. A shorter better quality of life is better than a longer more painful one. I life in Sydney Australia and we are in winter here. The cold really brings on pain. Next year we will probably winter in a warmer part of Australia.

SureHope, great links - thank you. I will look at these progressively.

Sjogens is were your eye and mouth start to dry. It can get worse. Look it up on WebMD.com .

All the best to you both. Mike

SureHope replied to mike201's response:
Oh my goodness...I'm currently not taking any drugs as of yet...just didn't get that far with the Dr. yet. I do take a lot of ibuprofen, and regular regiment of Krill oil, and Oseto Bi-Flex for the time being and I'm managing pretty well. Still have some bad days, especially if I don't sleep well the night before or over do it the previous day.

It's summer hear which is great...I know what you mean about the winter bringing on more pain, even a storm here will make mine worse. I'm considering options of moving to a possible warmer climate so that it doesn't bother me so much.

Talk more later
~Surehope

mooreRA responded:
Hi there!
I too had a hard time accepting the fact that I was ,,, AM,,, sick!!! I was diagnosed just 4 months after I was engaged to the most wonderful man in the world. Life threw me a cruel cruel joke!!! I was 35 at the time!! I refused all the scary treatments at first. Had to be on steroids so I could walk down the aisle at my wedding. Had to make some major decisions and life changes, and some of my dreams have been altered. It is like having another person with you all the time, a constant cloud hanging over your head. Some days it is sooo hard trying to stay positive!!!
You need to have a strong support system. I also discovered that a majority of the population has no idea what RA is. so many people have told me they have it too!!!!! Pissed me off at first! "Oh, I have arthritis too, just take some Aleve, or Extra strength Tylenol Gel Caps,,, you'll be fine!!"
So I kinda had to make it my mission to educate people as to what RA really is!!!! I could write a book about all my experiences with this rotten disease,,,, but I will try to keep it short!!! lol
Keep doing your research, and make sureyou have an excellent rhuematologist!!! That is sooooo important. I have gone through about 4 since I was diagnosed!!!! Don't be afraid to try other RA doc's until you find one that you trust and are 100% comfortable!!! I let my doc know straight off that he needs to be straight with me 100% of the time.
Well gotta get ready for bed, see ya around,,, take care!!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 37 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.