Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Methotrexate injection side effects (& a little Seroneg RA venting)
robbysuzie posted:
Hi everyone,
I am 34 and was diagnosed Seronegative RA in the Fall 2012 after a year of joint pain, fluid in the knees (to the point where they were bigger than a soft ball and a grape fruit combined!) and just plain feeling terrible. I immediately went on Sulfasalazine, which my Rhumey said could take up to 6 months to kick in. I waited and waited and waited, trying not to complain too much, just hoping that this would be the week. It never really did (or at least never made me feel normal) and the side effects were terrible. I had joint pain, swelling and extreme fatigue and extreme loss of appetite. The funny thing was that if you just looked at my blood work, the Sulfasalazine appeared like it was working. But I felt just plain awful and I couldn't bend my knees, couldn't go to the gym, I mean nothing! Then next time I saw my Rhumey after the medication trial period (of about 3 months), I literally burst into tears.

So today was my first day of injections of Methotrexate and I'm not sure what side effects I should expect. I've heard the tablet form is much worse than the injection. But after the last time, I am nervous and a bit frightened. Can anyone share some of their experiences about Methotrexate injections and their side effects? Thanks for listening everyone!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi RobbySuzie,

I'm sure others will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.

Hang in there and know you're not alone in this battle anymore.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.