Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Osteoarthritis worse after RA diagnosis?
lcover posted:
Hi,

I was diagnosed with RA two years ago and have been taking Simponi for a year and a half. In this time I feel like issues with osteoarthritis have worsened.

Last year, the basal thumb joint area started burning and xrays showed bone spurs and there is a visible change in my thumb. Now I'm having stiffness in my knee and recent xrays show a change plus bone spurs.

I'm looking for any information on RA & osteoarthritis and I'm curious if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Osteoarthritis is a common condtion. As a result, it is often seen in patients with RA. For thumb arthritis, I recommend topical anti inflammatories to my patients such as voltaren gel. I also recommend a thumb splint. I have found one splint very helpful that can be found on my web site,www.thumbsplints.net. In terms of knee arthritis, every extra pound relates to 4 extra pounds on the knee so I ask my patients who may be a few pounds heavier than they should to try to lose some weight. In a few weeks, I will discuss some natural therapies to help with OA on web md osteoarthritis community.

lcover replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. Zashin, I appreciate the response. I've been using the splint and voltaren gel for a year and it has helped.

I just think it's interesting that the osteo has been more of an issue since I was diagnosed. I seem to be noticing subtle changes since the diagnosis two years ago.

Can RA cause more issues with osteo?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
I have not heard of osteoarthriits associated witn Simponi. In my patients with osteoarthritis of the basal thumb, I suggest a thumb splint to try during the day. The brand I recommend to my patients can be found at www.thumbsplints.net . For the knee, there are many different treatments available but for my patients who are overweight, I encourage weight loss as each extra pound of weight translates to 4 extra pounds on the kee. I will be talking more about osteoarthritis in the coming weeks on the OA community through WebMD.

Scott Zashin, MD replied to lcover's response:
In areas where RA has caused damage, secondary osteoarthriits is not uncommon.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

ARTREX...New US FDA approved product for arthritis
Wanted to inform the community that ARTREX cream is US FDA approved & tablets are US patented for rheumatoid & osteoarthritis. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.