Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Plaquenil and pain
amb1954 posted:
Please I need to find out if anyone who has taken plaquenil has experienced back and hip pain. I started in Oct of 2011 taking 200 mg of plaquenil once a day. In April of 2012 I started taking 400 mg 2 x's a day. I did start to notice that I was having pain when I tried to sleep at night. Mostly in my arms hands and ankles. Then I started to notice that I was having pain in my back and left hip as the day wore on and especially after taking the plaquenil in the evening. I am also taking methotrexate, which I have been on for years and prednisone which I also have been on for years. Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated. Thanks. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.

Sylviarose

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Sylviarose,

While you're waiting for responses here, click on the following link to read reviews from members like you on this medication:

Plaquenil
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

amb1954 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, I will do that.

Sylviarose

allie_bf responded:
Talk to your doctor about this, but my guess is that the Plaquenil is not doing anything to cause the pain, but rather that it is not doing enough to prevent it. It sounds like your RA has probably gotten a bit out of control, relative, to your current treatment, and Plaquenil is not a particularly potent drug when it comes to managing joint pain. I've been on it for several years now, and have found that while it's great at addressing the fever and fatigue that goes along with lupus and/or RA, it's really not much of a pain drug, per se.

3collies replied to allie_bf's response:
Might want to ask the doctor, but the steroids could be the cause as well.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.