Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Methotrexate side effects
Gwendolyn123 posted:
Has anyone noticed that irritability is a side effect of taking this med. I was on 7 pills weekly and my family all say that I am very irritable and even mean at times while taking this med.

LCover responded:
Hi Gwendolyn,

Yes, I experienced that, severe depression and anxiety while taking methotrexate. I was amazed at how it effected me and my mood/behavior.

I believe my doctor decreased the dosage and had me take folic acid to help with all of the side effects I was experiencing. Eventually, I had to stop taking it because it gave me a lung infection. I have heard it works great for most people, unfortunately I was not one of them!

Hope you get the information you need.

Take care,
LC

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.