Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I am new to this
rainorlando posted:
I have been diagnosed with poly arthritis, one of them being RA. My Dr put me on Methtrexate once a week, the second dose, that evening I got a full blown case of asthmatic bronchitis followed 3 days later with a persistent stomach flu! I have missed a lot of work since starting this course of treatment. I am 44 and I have been contemplating disability, does anyone have any suggestions or a similar story. I stopped taking the Methotrexate, I have now missed 2 doses as of tomorrow, but my headache is killer and my joint pain is bad. I am just trying to be well enough to become unstuck from the bathroom as the flu is hanging on!! Please any suggestions, comments are welcome. I am a total newbie. Please help!

LCover responded:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis and that you haven't been feeling well. I hope that you get to feeling better soon.

I have RA and had a similar issue with Methotrexate. I experienced severe depression, hair loss and eventually it gave me a lung infection so I had to stop taking it.

The most challenging thing for me was finding the right medication to treat the RA. I kept reading the discussions and found others had the same experiences. There were so many people who said to hang in there until you find the right med and they were right. Now I am on Simponi which has helped a lot. I also noticed it took about 6 months before the medication really kicked in to where I noticed a difference in my joints.

I recommend keeping in touch with your Rheumatologist and the nurse about how you are feeling and what you need. It may take some time but I believe you will find some relief soon!

Hang in there!

rainorlando replied to LCover's response:
Thank you!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.