Skip to content
RA pain..How do you do it?
rainorlando posted:
How is everyone dealing with the pain from RA?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
That's a great question, Rainorlando, and I hope that others here will share how they manage to cope with having RA in their lives.

Welcome to WebMD.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

SweetNeve2P responded:
Hello,
I have been wondering the same thing, thanks for asking!
I take Percocet for pain, but they are quickly failing me.
I try to stay positive.
Rest, as much as I can, whenever I need it!
I try to keep stress as low as possible, as stress seems to trigger more pain for me.
I use my Jacuzzi bathtub a couple times a week.
How are you managing your pain?

mike201 responded:
I really did not know what real pain was like until I came down with RA 19 months ago. I am rated as severe and now also have Fribromylagia which is just as painful. The trick for me runs via three vectors. The first is to control the pain so that I can sleep at night. This minimises depression. The second is to learn pain control meditation. This works 50% of the time. The third is to do mild exercise. A good walk, a cycle ride or a little gym. I am currently caught in a massive flare and have been to hospital but it always comes down to the same thing - controlling the pain.

The "pain toll" on the patient is often depression but the toll on my wife is huge too. She has little choice but to sit there and watch, feeling very helpless. My wife is very concerned about the future. There are no medications for her. We need to care for the carer! Mike

SweetNeve2P replied to mike201's response:
I'm sorry to hear you are caught up in a bad flare up and in so much pain. I'm currently experiencing a bad flare up too. I understand your pain. You are right about how it takes a toll on our loved ones. My husband is also watching helplessly as I suffer. I wish there was more I could do to help him too. I am grateful for his love and support. I did forget to mention light exercise and meditation. Those do help. Right now I can hardly walk, so I have given up daily walks until my flare up is over. (will it ever really be over?!) I wish you well and hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.