Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA & Jaw Pain
mollys284 posted:
I was diganosed last December and have been on Methotrexate since. I just started Humira (first injection last Thursday). I noticed that my morning pain/stiffness was definitely reduced, so for the past 3 days I have not taken Nabumetone/Relafen.

I have had pretty bad outer ear and jaw pain constantly for the past three days. I do recall having this pain before my RA diagnosis and being told that perhaps I was grinding my teeth but that there was no dental explanation otherwise. Since December I have been on a pain reliever of some sort, every day.

I have read a bit online that jaw pain can be caused by RA, has anyone experienced this? Anything I should try, other than pain meds?

Thank you!

Molly

HawaiiMac responded:
I have had RA for 8 years now, and still have issues with jaw pain.
I take advil, etc. However, nothing really seems to help.
I wish there was a better answer to help you endure this continual pain.
You may wish to contact Kelly Young; she has a great website known as rawarrior.com

loretta1965 responded:
Hi Molly, i have had RA for 14 years, 34 when diagnosed. Been on Humira and methotraxate for 6 years but still get pain in jaw and terrible crumbling sound when moving my jaw, had steroid injections into the joint which did settle in for a while but now I just persevere. good luck. Loretta

DianeJIAmom responded:
Hi Molly - Our daughter was diagnosed 1-1/2 yrs ago in her teens with an aggressive case of jia. She took Enbrel/metho for 11 months and then Humira/metho since. Her pediatric rheumatologist told us that ra often shows in the jaw before other symptoms occur. Aside from measuring how far you can open your mouth with each visit, a tmj mri with contrast can show how bad the inflamation is. She has had several mri's and gets steroid injections in the jaw as needed. (2 so far but didn't need it 6 months ago which showed her other meds were helping). Maybe the Humira will help your jaw, too, but you might want to consider getting an mri. Good luck!

charitas responded:
Dear Molly,

Yes, I too have a great amount of jaw pain. I am on Remicade. I have had RA for about 15 years now. I also have the ear pain as well. I have noticed that I cannot open my mouth to eat a hamburger as well as I did years years ago. It is so frustrating. Other than the pain meds you mentioned, I cannot offer anything other than support and my love. It is just a tough road for us. I did work for about 15 years, but I did file for disability this year, at age 60.

God Bless!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.