Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Gout
Diesel203 posted:
Sorry I know this subject doesnt fit with the over all topic but I didnt know where to post it. The message boards on here have changed since the last time I logged on and I couldn't locate the general health board.

I recently had a bout with gout and I finally made it to the doctor yesterday. He prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a med to decrease the uric acid production. Anyways I keep hearing that I should stay away from alcohol and I was curious to know if that is for the rest of my life or just for a while? I'm not an alcoholic or anything but I do occasionally like to drink. I cant find any a proper answer to my question anywhere online. Thanks for any help.

xperky responded:
Hi there. I have a family member with gout who takes the allopurinol and drinks like a fish...LOL. He hasn't had new gout attacks in many years.

However, another family member has gout, takes allopurinol, and can't touch a half glass of red wine. He enjoys an occasional beer or 1 glass of scotch, but the red wine gets him every time!

Other problem foods are liver and other organ meats, game and even certain fish and lentils and spinach! You will have to cautiously introduce things after you get over this attack. I know it hurts bad, from what I've seen.

Diesel203 replied to xperky's response:
Hey thanks for the reply. I noticed most of the foods on the list of untouchables I don't really eat so I think I will be fine over all but like I said I do occasionally like to have some alcohol and I couldn't find a reason for why it was hard to handle. It's pretty painful stuff that is for sure. I could barely walk from Saturday until yesterday. It started in my ankle and then went to my big toe and it was just bad.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Alchohol may increase the risk gout attacks. Gout is a type of arthritis caused by too many uric acid crystals in the body. Beer is particularly bad as it increases uric acid levels in the blood by increasing production of uric acid and decreasing its abilty to leave the body. Once you are effectively treated which may take up to a year, many patients can enjoy moderate alchohol intake.

Diesel203 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
That is rough Dr. Zashin. Like I said before I'm not an alcoholic but if I couldnt have any alcohol for the rest of my life it would be bad. I dont see too much on the food list that I eat that often so that wont be a big deal.

An_247105 replied to xperky's response:
thnks

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.