Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA Out of Control!
gina5595 posted:
I was diagnosed with RA in June of 2008. It just hit me really hard and really fast. After a few years of pretty good results with Simponi I was taken off of it due to reoccurring infections. We've tried other biologics and still get the same result. I am now on nothing but pain meds etc. My RA factor fluctuates between 500-700. Some days are way worse than others but for the most part I am in pain head to toe every single day. My doctor wants to try one more med called Orencia. They are going to put me in the hospital when they try it because of possible side effects. Anyone on Orencia?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Gina,

While you're waiting for responses here on Orencia, click on this link to get info on possible side effects and to find reviews from members like you.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Anon_81997 responded:
What kind of side affects? I am trying to get approved for Orencia as well. But they have not said anything about being in the hospital she is just going to do the infusion in her office.
My Doctor is part of UNC HealthCare Speciality team.
It is just an IV each month.

jcords responded:
I have taken most of the biologic drugs for severe RA, including Orencia. I took that for about 1 year. I had the most side effects from that one and more pronounced then the others. Within a few hours of the IV dose I would develop flu like symptoms but quite pronounced. The chills were deep in the bone type chills. Also a severe headache. I would just go to bed and pile the blankets on. By morning the symptoms abated and my RA was knocked back. The shots last about 3 weeks then the severe RA symptoms returned.

I took Enbrel the longest and had really good results with it. I had to stop taking it when I had hip replacement surgery and it never kicked back in when it was restarted. Since then I've been on quite a few of the available drugs. They all quit eventually, but while they are working they make a better life. I now take Cimzia.

All of the new classification of drugs has side effects, but they improve the quality of life. Good luck.

methotrexate responded:
Hi; in June 2008 i was diagnosed with RA , and it hit me very hard to, to the point that i can open a door knob and brush my teeth, a went to doctor specializes in RA, she try a medicine for lupos wish help me some, them she give me Methotrexate, four month later my fingers got strait and i work almost like normal, methotrexate is a medication that is used to treat cancer, but for RA used in very low doses. sorry about my english, i am spanic. Ask your doctor about methotrexate, it takes a few months for start working. sorry you have RA.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.