Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    What is the best way to deal with the pain when nasaids no longer work?
    Anon_81997 posted:
    What is the best way to deal with the pain of RA & OA when nasaids no longer work and you are waitin for approval of medicine Which you may or may not get. That' s up to the drug co.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
    In RA patients, I often use corticosteroids like prednisone to help my patients until DMARDS or biologics work. They are given in place of NSAIDS. In OA, analgesics such as tylenol or tramadol are often used.

lkw787b replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
    I have taken low dose prednisone (to treat antiphospholipid syndrome) but was told that I could only take it for three months since if on it too long it can have negative side fx: bloating (the doctor called it "Buffalo Neck") as well as loss of bone density.

I found that prednisone amped me up so was best taken first thing in the a.m.

Currently, to deal with the pain of osteoporosis/osteopenia I am taking one naproset in the a.m. and 2 advil p.m. at night. I'm also doing swim aerobics to help keep my joints active (this is done in a heated pool, which seems to help.)

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
    I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    30 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.