Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
What is the best way to deal with the pain when nasaids no longer work?
Anon_81997 posted:
What is the best way to deal with the pain of RA & OA when nasaids no longer work and you are waitin for approval of medicine Which you may or may not get. That' s up to the drug co.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
In RA patients, I often use corticosteroids like prednisone to help my patients until DMARDS or biologics work. They are given in place of NSAIDS. In OA, analgesics such as tylenol or tramadol are often used.

lkw787b replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
I have taken low dose prednisone (to treat antiphospholipid syndrome) but was told that I could only take it for three months since if on it too long it can have negative side fx: bloating (the doctor called it "Buffalo Neck") as well as loss of bone density.

I found that prednisone amped me up so was best taken first thing in the a.m.

Currently, to deal with the pain of osteoporosis/osteopenia I am taking one naproset in the a.m. and 2 advil p.m. at night. I'm also doing swim aerobics to help keep my joints active (this is done in a heated pool, which seems to help.)

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.