Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What do you think you'd do????
jeanneac posted:
Greetings RA community, I am new here. I am in such a dilemma with my health. I have seronegative RA and am not doing well. I was treated with plaquenil but it quit working for me. I was given some prednisone and tapered down after which I had a great remission for several months. During this time, I convinced myself the problems I had was due to my thyroid and accepted a new job in a neighboring state which will involve a move for my family. I am in my late 50's. Well, last week, I relapsed something awful. No amount of rest will help, my joints are killing me and I got an appt with my rheumy next week thank goodness.

My dilemma is: Do I stay with my old job (which is rough, btw, with a lot of traveling, but excellent benefits) or take this new job? I am fearful that I will not have the energy to keep up and start a new job. I hate the thought of keeping a job that I don't like b/c of an illness but I am too fatigued to even get out of bed. What would you do???

Take the Poll

Would you take a new job while in a flare with RA?
  • NO
  • Yes
  • Maybe
  • I don't let my illness dictate anything in my life
  • I would keep the job with better benefits even if I didn't like i
vote
View Poll Results

jfoxworthy responded:
only you know how much you can handle, hopefully your doctor can find a med that will work for you

xperky responded:
I've been thinking about your post for a few days now, but didn't know what to say. I think you need to ask yourself how stressful is the old job versus taking on a new job/moving? I know stress can make RA worse, so that's why I ask.

Sorry you are so fatigued lately. You are lucky to have two jobs to choose from these days!

B4Igo responded:
It sounds like either choice has challenges with regards to your RA. And each choice has benefits/good points. Does the new job know that you may have occasional bouts of active flares? How have you handled this in your current job? Perhaps you and your physician can brainstorm ways to handle a flare that allows you to work, perhaps with some creative scheduling along with medications. Who else can help you bridge the gap between the energy you have and the energy you need? Do you have more than 2 options - is there another option that gives you a bit more time to adjust to your new diagnosis and then make your move?

I know - lots of questions, but I hope they help you find your own (current) best answer. And just remember - you can get creative in your solutions and they don't have to be the final answer. All the best!

HawaiiMac replied to B4Igo's response:
I have endured RA for 9 years now; my medication will often either quit working completely, work only on occasion, or work only "so-so"; therefore a career choice is never easy. I feel you must be in the "Twilight Zone" with this maddening, progressive disease, especially as you must deal with the fatigue that often accompanies it. Flares are quite devastating, and the problem is your boss and co-workers cannot "see" the pain and fatigue of which you often must endure.

There is NO answer...as there is NO answer to the how's and why's of RA and how it is understood in society. I feel for you...

peppernf responded:
Hello there. I am of the opinion that it is better to allow the symptoms to subside somewhat before making a big change. I also changed careers (more than ten years ago) because I wasn't happy - and my RA was very active immediately prior to that. I planned a little time off, then changed job. I have never regretted it. We are all different - perhaps this is particularly true for RA sufferers (mine is sero-positive and almost continually active) but we cannot allow our disease to define us. One book (totally off topic) that I can heartily recommend is "after the diagnosis" by Joanne LeMaistre Phd. She teaches us how to live able heartedly, which is what it's all about when our bodies are vulnerable. Good luck to you. I hope that you make the choice that works best for you. Warm regards.

Ptrefer responded:
it is often advisable to rest your body when you have RA. Travelling all the could worsen it if your not careful. I know that you love your work, but can you atleast rest for awhile until a suitable medication is administered for you.

jeanneac replied to Ptrefer's response:
Thank you all so much for your thoughtful replies!!!!! I enjoyed reading each of your feelings. As it turns out, things progressed and I am starting the new job in about another week. I do not regret the decision. I told my hubby that I could do some light packing but not to expect too much from me and he doesn't anyway. LOL... He knows. I'll have to find a new rheumatologist in my new town. I think some of my flares right now have to do with this weather. It's rain, rain, rain down here in the south. I wish we could save it and give it to the midwest somehow. More may be on the way with Isaac. I am taking today, tomorrow and the weekend off along with 3 days next week. This job has been tough for me and I'll be glad to move. Thanks again!!!!!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.