Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help! In denial....Seronegative RA?
hobnob56 posted:
Hi all,
I am 47 and have been having stiffness and pain for at least 2 years. It started in my feet and ankles, and now is pretty generalized. I am also fatigued most of the time. My RA factor is negative. ESR is consistent in the 30's and CRP is 13. (not 1.3) I currently am on Celebrex daily and if I miss a day, boy do I feel it!. My Dr. wants me to start methotrexate but I am afraid to start. Also, maybe if RA was positive I would be more at peace with the diagnosis?

I have had frequent tendon issues and have some tears in my right wrist. Not sure if that is from RA (Inflammatory Arthritis). Not bad enough for surgery. I am trying to do an exercise program but my joints are screaming!! Should I be doing vigorous exercise/ weight training?

I guess I am just looking for some advise, maybe a kick in the pants?!

Help!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Some other tests I would check on a patient who gave me that history is a CCP(another RA test) and an HLA B27 gene to look for a different type of arthritis. A positive gene test can be found in 8 % of the population so a positive test is not diagnostic. I will use MTX in the 15-20% of my patients with RA who are seronegative (no RF) if they have swelling and high measures of inflammation to help symptoms and decrease the risk of damage, deformity and disability.

hobnob56 replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:

Thank you for your reply. My doc did those and more and all are negative except for CRP, ESR and Homocysteine. I did get the Rx filled.....Still haven't made the comittment to start. Is it "normal" for someone to have tendon/ligament issues as a main symptom of this? I have had tendonitis in multiple joints and am not really that athletic!.. Never played tennis but got tennis elbow. (lol)

Thanks again.

Scott Zashin, MD replied to hobnob56's response:
The tendons may be involved in RA also.I have not heard of the ligaments being affected.(tendons attach muscle to bone and liagaments attach bone to bone)

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 29 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.