Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Need info on biologics
olathegal posted:
My Dr is considering biologics for better control of RA. I've been on methotrexate weekly injections for a year. She has increased the amount slowly throughout the year. Also prednosone injections every 3 months. We've determined I need to look at other options and biologics is the next step. I would appreciate your feedback on what you have found successful. thanks
Scott Zashin, MD responded:
For the majority of my patients, I will use the TNF blockers Humira or Enbrel as my first biologic because patients can give it themselves at home and don't need to go to a clinic to get an as with Remicade. .I have the most experience with these two,(your insurance may dictate which they will pay for) You may enjoy reading my book, Arthritis without Pain. It was written a while back but it still has useful information about the TNF blockers. Newer TNF's that are now available include Cimzia and Simponi. They may be less likely to cause a burning sensation which may occur with the earlier released injections. Orencia is a different class of biologics that may be used as a first line drug. When adding a biologic, I will typically continue the MTX as up to 80 % of patients need combination therapy with a DMARD like MTX to achieve an optimal response.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 44 found this helpful