Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Need info on biologics
olathegal posted:
My Dr is considering biologics for better control of RA. I've been on methotrexate weekly injections for a year. She has increased the amount slowly throughout the year. Also prednosone injections every 3 months. We've determined I need to look at other options and biologics is the next step. I would appreciate your feedback on what you have found successful. thanks

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
For the majority of my patients, I will use the TNF blockers Humira or Enbrel as my first biologic because patients can give it themselves at home and don't need to go to a clinic to get an as with Remicade. .I have the most experience with these two,(your insurance may dictate which they will pay for) You may enjoy reading my book, Arthritis without Pain. It was written a while back but it still has useful information about the TNF blockers. Newer TNF's that are now available include Cimzia and Simponi. They may be less likely to cause a burning sensation which may occur with the earlier released injections. Orencia is a different class of biologics that may be used as a first line drug. When adding a biologic, I will typically continue the MTX as up to 80 % of patients need combination therapy with a DMARD like MTX to achieve an optimal response.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.