Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
CRP and obesity
singingbear posted:
I have read on WebMD that obesity can effect the results of the CRP blood test. If this is so, is this test still an accurate indicator of RA activity in obese patients? Also can the results be significantly effected or is it a slight variation?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
While obesity may be associated with an elevated CRP, my personal experience is that is is a slight variation and measuring CRP is worthwhile for RA patients who are overweight.

singingbear replied to Scott Zashin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your insight. My recent test results show that my CRP is still elevated after 7 months of Methotrexate. The notes at the bottom of the test results stated that I might need a biologic. In doing research for the possibility I had found this information but could find none on the extent of variation. Now I feel a bit more prepared for my next appointment in October. Thank you again for your help!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.