Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
More information on RA medication needed
sanjuktadebroy posted:
Hi
I have been disgnosed with RA from 2004 onwards it started with my shoulder and from then I am being on medication Methotrxate 15mg weekly and HCQS daily and time to time on corticosteroids. But the symptoms are getting worser and I am having persistant pain and swelling in my right wrist nothing is helping. My ESR IN 20 and CRP is negative, Anti Nuclear Antibody tested in 1:80. Need some advice what to do next.

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
In my patients with RA and localized activity, eg one joint. I will offer patients a steroid injection if there are no signs or symptoms of infection. In patients with active RA, I will maximize oral methotrexate to 20mg once weekly(assuming no contraindications) and then switch to injectable MTX if no benefit after 3 months which may be absorbed better. In patients with active RA who do not responde to plaquenil and methotrexate, I will add low dose sulfasalzine or change to a biolgic such as Humira or Enbrel.Some patients with RA may have a positive ANA but I always exlude Lupus as best as possible in my patients with a Positive ANA through additional blood work.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.