Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Scared
An_247820 posted:
I have had a rough year so far. I lost my best friend suddenly to cancer, had a hysterectomy and have just been diagnosed with RA. I'm 31 years old and am happily married with 2 children ages 9 and 7. I start my first dosage of MTX tomorrow (4 pills and I am taking folic acid) and am scared to death of the side effects. I keep reading about how sick everyone gets on it. I have to work, we also own our own business and my income helps pay the bills while we're getting everything up and running. I guess I'm mainly just posting to post but am curious if everyone that takes MTX has horrible side effects or does it just depend on the person?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello,

I'm sure others will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here. (((softhugs)))
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky responded:
I'm scared too. I will be starting MTX after unrelated minor surgery next month. I have read that some people take their weekly dose before their days off work, so they can have a couple days at home to rest and recuperate. I have also read about people getting their lives back and doing all their old activities again after being on MTX a while. Lets hope for that!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my best friend to cancer a few years ago, and can appreciate how great a loss it can be. We adopted her kitties and I hope she is happy about that.

Good luck, and let us know how you are feeling.

jmspencer81 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you!

singingbear responded:
I have been on MTX for 7 months now. The only side effect that I have noticed is slight fatigue the following day and some extra hair loss when I wash my hair. Nothing major. The doctor has me on 2 mg of folic acid and has added Leucovorin once a week for the side effects. I have had no intestinal side effects at all. I think it really effects everyone a bit differently. The good news is that the hair I am losing grows back so I am not worried about going bald anytime soon. My gray hairs just shows up faster as the colored hair falls out and is replaced. LOL. I can live with a bit thinner hair and a few more grays if it means I can get from my bed to the bathroom without clinging to the wall and every piece of furniture in between for support. I completely understand the need to work. I am single and my job is my only income. In addition I work in a position that has to be done everyday and has no coverage if I am not there. Before the MTX I cried so many days because I just wanted to stay in bed but that was not an option. Give it a try. If it doesn't work for you let your doc know there are other options but without treatment the damage will continue to get worse. And yes, I do take mine on my first day off just in case.

jmspencer81 replied to singingbear's response:
Thank you! My first dosage went ok. I had a killer headache but was just really weak and tired.

singingbear replied to jmspencer81's response:
I am glad that everything went ok. I just try to tell myself when I am reading these discussions that most ppl are more willing to write about the horror stories then the positive experiences. Most of us that are lucky enough to have no side effects or very limited side effects or those that find quick remission don't usually take the time to post. Every one of us is different and no two experiences will be exactly the same. Good luck!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.