Skip to content
Just diagnosed
lex16420 posted:
I was diagnosed with RA 2 months ago at age a60. I am on 10 mg prednisone and sulfasalazine. Just found out it is lowering my platelet count. Scared to try another med. I've had no other side effects. Will I be able to go to another med immediately or have to wait until my platelets improve? Very frightened of all of this.

tank118 responded:
When i was diagnosed over 12 years ago i went through 5 or 6 different combinations of meds before they found what worked for me. I would look into other things that could be lowering your platelet count. Fish oil can thin your blood. Also Prednison helps with pain but does nothing to stop future joint damage. In my case i had to go through several different medications before my insurance company would pay for the newer ones. I take remacade, methotrexate, and sulandac as needed. This combination works for me. I am 41 years old i work in the yard at a lumber yard and i am a volunteer firefighter. There is a combination of medication that will work for you. Don't get to stressed, it just takes a little time. I hope this helps.

lex16420 replied to tank118's response:
Thanks so much for your reply! So sorry you have this at such a young age. God bless

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.