Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
meds concern
bleeski posted:
I was dx a few months ago with my symptoms and signs in my hands & feet but had no damage seen on xray since it was so early in the disease.The prednisone trial relieved all symptoms and signs of the RA.I am presently on low dose prednisone and plaquenil and have no symptoms. At my last visit my rheumy said at the next visit next month she was going to add Methotrexate to the plaquenil.I am concerned that she already knows what she wants to do without knowing what the next month will bring and also because I'm not sure I want to start that drug. If I am symptom-free do I need to add that at this time? BTW-I am seronegative.

jmspencer81 responded:
I can tell you from personal experience this just happened to me. My rheumatologist was undecided about the RA diagnosis until she put me on the prednisone. She told me that I can't be on prenisone long term and since it started bringing my numbers down it's time to start stepping off the prednisone and she's started me on the MTX, today was my 3rd dosage. I also take plaquenil for the RA, Cymbalta for the fibromyalgia and folic acid to help with side effects of the MTX. Hope this helps, I'm also newly diagnosed.

lex16420 replied to jmspencer81's response:
Why would they take you off the prednisone if it was bringing your numbers down

lex16420 responded:
I'm knew to this as well but I would not take anymore meds than needed

singingbear replied to lex16420's response:
From my experience most docs do not like to use prednisone long term do to side effects. I have seen some of these side effects such as thinning skin, and liver damage in my brother and dad (both were on and off prednisone for around 20 yrs for Crohn's disease). After taking it myself for about 8 mo. my doc gradually stepped down my dosage until I was off it completely. Prednisone is usually used as a temporary first step to reduce swelling until the actual RA drugs start to take effect. My doc is still looking for the right combo of drugs for me. I am currently on 17.5 mg of methotrexate weekly but my CRP is still elevated. I don't know yet what he has in mind for the next step but will find out next month. I am a bit leary of prednisone but I have not seen any problems short term. I would cerainly not want to take it longer then I had to.

mkmnotknowing replied to jmspencer81's response:
I've been treated with MTX this will be my second time trying it,my doctor has told me to take it once a day six days a week and skip the one day.my dose is 2.5 mgs a day..I've read everywhere that it is not safe to take this medicine daily.Just want to know if anyone else has been prescribed this medication to be taken this way.I.ve been diganosied with reactive arthritis. All of my symptoms began in December of 2011.I.m on the remicade infusion every 8 weeks also.Plus a number of other medications.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.