Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Painful and swollen feet from RA
An_248172 posted:
My son was diagnoses, with Ra, earlier this year. both feet is very painfull and swollen, any suggestion to relieve some of the swelling.

xperky responded:
Sorry to hear that. I have found relief from swelling by first doing a hot soak in epsom salts, 2 cups per gallon of hot water, for about 15 minutes, followed by ice for 10 - 15 minutes. I sure hope your son finds many ways to relieve his condition.

Loriann responded:
I to deal with swollen feet, not fun at all. The soaking in epsom and then ice is a great suggestion from xperky. I also find elavating my feet on a bunch of pillows help a little. I'm talking a LOT of pillows. I hope your son finds some comfort. A nice gentle massage may help a little also. Best of luck...

WraithW responded:
I've been having problems with swelling in the balls of my feet and alot of toe pain and stiffness all summer long. I finally went to the "Good Feet "' store about 2 weeks ago. Huge expense but my feet haven't felt so good in months . It's a series of arch supports that reshape your feet. I also have a friend who has heal pain and they worked for her too.

Billy7412 responded:
Well, I've heard that if you place icepacks, on a towel, & apply them to the affected area, that will help to bring down the swelling!!

SallyDStanley replied to Billy7412's response:
This may sound odd but when I get swollen and hot from RA, I go to this store that has a "beer cave," which is basically a walk in cooler. I stay in there for about 5-10 minutes so cool down. If an attendant comes and asks me how I am doing I just say that I was looking for this imported beer I had gotten once but can't find it.

Also my gym as this thing called a cold dip. You walk into a mini pool that goes to 5ft deep and I go walk into there and stay in there for a few minutes/seconds depending on how much I hurt.

xperky replied to SallyDStanley's response:
LOL - the beer cave! Brrrrr.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Rheumatoid Arthritis infographic
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a debilitating condition that can cause inflammation and pain in the joints . In this infographic you will be ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.