Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone have RA and lung problems
Patti45 posted:
I spent sunday at the hospital with shotness of breath and chest presure that I have been having for over 5 weeks. I amj now booked into the pulmonary care center and was given prednisone 50 mg x 5 days and an aero chamber , flovent and ventolin when I left the hospital . The doc at emerg after having the resopiratory team check me out stated that have I have obstruction in my lungs and most likely inflamation in or around them. I am RA positive but have been waiting almost a year to see a rheumatologist..I would like to know if any of you have or do have lung symptoms and tell me bout your experience . Thanks Patti

allie_bf responded:
I have occasional bouts of pleuritic pain, mostly when I am having a generalized flare shortly after a cold or other respiratory problem (e.g. bronchitis or pneumonia.) I also have mild asthma so I suppose it's not too surprising that I have respiratory problems with my RA. So far, I have always been able to manage with short bursts of prednisone and inhalers, and have never had to be in the hospital for this. The prednisone "kills two birds with one stone," so to speak: fixing both the joint pain, and the chest pain.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.