Skip to content
An Eye-Opening Experience...
xperky posted:
I am so amazed at what RA does to the body. This recent experience has shown me just how much the RA is affecting me...

A couple weeks ago I stopped taking the NSAID in order to prep for a mole excision on the bottom of my foot. Well, after a week of no NSAID I became painfully aware of which joints have RA in them, and how fatigued and stiff I am every day. I scared myself by seeing the results of no NSAID to treat the symptoms.

On top of that, when the nurse tightly wrapped my foot to prevent bleeding, she wrapped a couple RA joints up too. Oh My Gosh!!! After a couple hours those joints were screaming with pain beyond my previously known worst. No medicine was enough, so I unwrapped the foot and took a chance on the bleeding. Whew. Better.

The other trouble with having RA and doing a "simple" surgery is being able to move around. I'm using a cane or walker to help but my upper body joints and muscles are being easily strained from using them to support the foot I can't walk on. The stairs are nearly impossible.

RA is scary! I look forward to being back on the NSAID and will definitely be trying the DMARD's my doctor wants to try. What an eye-opening experience this has been. I'm taking this disease seriously.

I'm hoping the melanoma test comes back negative so they won't have to go back and take out a bigger margin on the foot. I'd hate to do this all over again!

Anyone else like to share one of these eye-opening experiences which taught you just how bad the RA is for you?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
You illustrate RA's impact on you so well, Xperky. I hope others will respond with their experiences.

How are you doing this week?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
My incision is healing very well, thanks for asking, Caprice. Each day I can do a little more walking/shuffling (lol) on the foot. I'm taking the NSAID again now, so I expect the RA will be feeling better. That 5th mtp joint is still mad at having been wrapped up tight though. Should know the lab results in a week or so. Seems like forever...

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to xperky's response:
Let us know what they find out, Xperky.

I'm glad you're now able to be on your NSAID and are hobbling around a bit.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well, good news - the mole was negative for cancer, so no more cutting on the bottom of that foot. Yeh! Got the stitches out yesterday, and all looks good.

Now I move on to RA treatments. I saw my rheumy today. He wants to start mtx/folic acid. It just so happened I had a bad day today, so he was able to see me while feeling nausea, headache and stiffness on a higher than normal level. He took the time to feel my knuckles and wrists and got my surprised "ouch" with that...LOL. He really seems like a bright person and has a positive outlook about my treatment. I sure do hope I feel better sometime soon.

Now I understand how you all feel when you post about your worries about taking your first mtx dose. I'm trying to figure out the best day of the week to designate for that. I'm thinking it might not be smart to start it on the day we might get a hurricane here. Too much to deal with!

Wish me luck. I know I'll make it through this too.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.