Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA Numbers & Finger Pain
couponer posted:
Hello RA Community-

What numbers is one to be concerned with when labs are performed? I've not got a great handle on most lab results and wondered what are typical numbers for one who has RA? What blood levels are considered to be moderate RA as opposed to severe RA?

Also, I wondered how others handle joint pain in the fingers and knuckles. My hands & knuckles hurt & are inflamed all the time.

Have a great weekend everyone!
Couponer

Born_to_be_blonde responded:
Im not sure about the numbers but I can def identify with your hands and knuckles hurting. I FINALLY found something to help relieve some of the pain, redness & swelling. Just dont laugh!

First grab a large ace bandage, the one that is 4" or 6" and wrap it around your knuckles and wrist once or twice. Just enough to put a barrier between your skin and the ice pack. then grab a small, flexible ice pack (I use the gel eye mask because its small and bends around my hand) and put it on top of your knuckles. Now finish wrapping the Ace bandage around your hand.

This is such a great way to help with the pain because it numbs your hand some plus you can still use your fingers. I wear it almost every night and can do chores and cooking. It kinda looks like your fixing to boxing match though! Hope this helps

xperky responded:
Hi Couponer. I am bothered by the hand pain too. I crochet so I made myself some fingerless gloves to wear in the house during the colder months. They help a little. My hands also get cold and achy when they get out of the bed covers, so this year I'm crocheting some extra long fingerless gloves for sleeping. The plan is I can roll them up when I want to use my fingers. Soft mittens would work too.

Voltaren gel or salonpas patches are helpful on my hands and feet. On the worst nights I'll put on a piece of Lidoderm patch.

The lab numbers are a mystery to me. It seems the numbers are only part of the picture.

P.S. Couponer, I use coupons too. What a great feeling to pair a coupon with a sale!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 28 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.