Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA today, have had Fibromylgia for two years
momhusky posted:
I just got my blood work back today and my Rheumatoid Factor was 196, which I understand is pretty high, and I am really scared. I had just started to get my fibro under control and then the rain started and my hands and feet swelled and I cried for two days before I got into see a doctor who did blood work, so now I have to wait another month to get into see a Rheumatologist, which scares me to death. I guess it is really hard for me cause I saw my mother suffer for years with RA and vasicular problems. She took the gold shots which caused liver damage and she ended up dying of Liver sero. Please tell me that just cause my RF was 196 that I could have something else

xperky responded:
Sorry you are scared and worried. Hopefully you will have good luck with treatments. So sorry also, that your mother died. That must add to your concerns about your possible future treatments. But, know that so many do have positive outcomes.

Did your doctor offer anything to help until you see the rheumy?

mike201 responded:
Hi There
My RF reading is 1032, yes 1032. RF readings are general readings about rheumatoid activity. The other blood results are much more important. I also have Fribo and the dry mouth/eye disease with a funny name. Welcome to the club! Forget about the gold shots. There are a variety of powerful and new drugs around. You will be OK but it is very important that you have a rheumatologist who you see regularly not just a GP. Go on an anti-inflamation diet, exercise and modify your life to fit the condition. RA is a total pain ............ be positive and smile. Mike

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.