Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Thumb Pain - just need a little support :o(
lcover posted:
Hi,

I'm reaching out for just a little support if possible. First off I will apologize because I feel like I am whining...and I am! I just feel bad complaining about this when so many of you experience more severe pain on a regular basis. So please forgive my rant.

I have RA and take Simponi which has my RA pretty much under control. I ache in my joints on a regular basis but I can tolerate it.

Right now I'm having a melt down crying at my desk because of the constant burning and pain in my thumbs. I use ice packs, voltaren gel, and my brace every single day. It feels like I am CONSTANTLY doing something to ease the pain there...it's every day and right now at this very moment I'm tired of the treatments.

I also have to stretch my hands and rotate the thumb which seems like it has become a constant weird habit now. The other day my left thumb joint got stuck and it took 20 minutes before I could get it back into place. Having to deal with this constantly has just become tiresome. I just want normal thumbs.

I have contacted my rheumatologist regarding other treatment and am waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, any support, suggestions and feedback is welcomed.

Thanks

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi LCover,

I know that others will be responding to you when they have a chance to see your post but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here and let you know someone's listening. I'm sorry the thumb pain has become so bad for you.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky responded:
That really does sound tiring. I'd be hard pressed not to freak out if my thumb got stuck like that for so long! What did you do to get it back in place? Heat? Massage? My pinkies are showing signs of wanting to do that, and it worries me.

Anyway, you shouldn't feel like you have to apologize for asking for support. That's what this board is all about.

lcover replied to xperky's response:
Thanks to both of you. I appreciate the response.

I did hear back from my rheumatologist and sounds like he is going to refer to me to a hand doctor for an injection. I was very pleased because I'm hoping it provides some long needed relief.

It got stuck again last night. It's hard to describe, but you can just tell it's not in right spot. I know there are bone spurs so I assume that's the reason. I just massage it and try to work the joint around and stretch my hand. If I do it too much though it aggrevates it and is even more sore.

Sorry to hear about your pinkies. It is worrisome to see your hands changing. I have hyper mobile joints in my fingers and it's very strange to see the differences in just a couple of years. Especially my thumbs. Sometimes I wonder what they will be like in the next few years.

Thanks again for the support. I'm feeling better emotionally...just really wanting some relief from the burning and the pain.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

mouth sores
I recently read that when one takes methotrexate as many of us do with RA and Sjogrens Syndrome, it can make your levels of folic acid drop ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.