Skip to content
Sjogrens Syndrome Mthotrexate
RADBA3317 posted:
I was just diagnosed with Sjogrens Syndrome, began Methotrexate this morning. How are others feeling who have just started this? I am on 6 tablets once a week. Thanks in advance. Have a great day!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

blugixxer6 responded:
I was diagnosed with R.A. about 6 months ago and I started Methotrexate at 6 pills once a week also. I don't want to scare you but the side affects of it for me were very very bad. I have since switched to the injections and have seen a very good improvement in the sickness and nausea caused by the oral dosage. I still have a very rough time with the side affects but they are noticeably milder with the injection. I also take Folic Acid daily along with prednisone, plaquenil.

RADBA3317 replied to blugixxer6's response:
Do you use anything for the pain?

blugixxer6 replied to RADBA3317's response:
I use Hydrocodone.

My doctor would like me to use Butrans Patch. I have used it before with some relief, of course then, thinking I just had Fibromyalgia.

Can you tell me what side affects you endured using the tablets?

I appreciate you talking to me. I have really know one else to talk to about this.

The worst was the stomach upset and the vomiting for me I had issues with diarrhea also but now that I am on the injection that part of the side affects have really improved. I still have what I would call flu like affects,bad body aches,hot feelings running through every joint and just basically what I describe to others as a total body experience that takes me a couple of days to get my energy back after my weekly injection.I do sometimes wonder if the Meds are worse than the illness and is it worth it, but if I look back at how things were before my diagnosis, I am improving with treatment so I guess the meds are working and I am learning how to live with R.A.

Have you lost hair from the Methotrexate? Are you on it for the rest of your life?

No hair loss so far other than natural thinning out with age.I will be on it as long as it works as of now.

singingbear responded:
I have been taking 7 MTX tablets once a week since Feb. The only side effects I had was slight fatigue the day after my dose and some mild hair loss. I am now taking 2 mg of folic acid daily and 1 (5mg) leucovorin weekly. My hair loss has reduced to a normal amount and my fatigue (related to my MTX) is gone. Now if I could get rid of the fatigue related to my overnight shift and lack of sleep I would be on cloud nine.

singingbear replied to RADBA3317's response:
I take 2 x 75mg diclofenac (Voltaran) daily for pain. I didn't think it was doing much for my pain until I forgot to take it one day. Quickly remembered how things were before the meds.

RADBA3317 replied to singingbear's response:
I am on 6 2.5 mg tablets weekly. This is my fourth day and I am literally on the couch in pain and diarrhea when I eat something.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time I know exactly how you feel but hang in there the side affects of the meds and the effects of R.A. are something I am learning to deal with daily and they are improving for me, even on the days when I am not sure if they ever will.my goal so far has been to have more good days than bad.

Don't mean to get personal, but do you work? I don't want to have to miss work all the time because of this. LOL!! They say you can become disabled from this!!

RADBA3317 replied to singingbear's response:
I feel like someone punched me through my stomach

Yes I do full time on night shift I take my injection on saturday afternoon because its my only day off so I spend my Sat.night and Sunday getting over the side effects as best I can. it was very hard on me also using the oral dosage I'm glad my doctor listened and put me on the injection.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.