Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Changing medications
SallyDStanley posted:
I have been on Plaquinel since December 2011 and I am still having problems. I now have big lumps on my wrist, knee, and ankle. I recently had a sonogram and I have RA in both wrists, knees, ankles, and recently my hips have been troubling me. I also have had trouble with the lining of my heart and lungs.

Wednesday, I am going back to the doctor and she said she wanted to change my medicine. I want to get on something that has a generic because my insurance offers free generics but I also want it to be an aggressive medicine. Any ideas?

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
In my patients with moderate to severe RA, methotrexate is the standard of care. It can have some side effects related to lungs so that would need to be considered. Imuran is also a generic FFDA approved med for RA that could be discussed with your doctor.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

help with methotrexate side effectsExpert
I recommend all my patients on methotrexate take at least 1 mg of Folic Acid daily to help decrease the risk of side effects. In those ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.