Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
RA and neck pain
CaroleJ posted:
I have been on leflunomide, sulfasalazine, hydroxylchlorquine, orencia and now enbrel with no improvement. My RA diagnosis was recently tweaked from a rheumatologist at Northwestern to spondylarthritis which is apparently moot since the treatment is the same. My question is whether the fact I'm not responding to any of the drugs could mean I've been misdiagnosed. My bloodwork does not show RA. Though I do appear to have some swelling in my joints I would describe my pain more as soreness and burning than stiffness. I just wondered if any of you with RA can relate to that description? It's almost as if I ache as though I've had the flu. My elbows hurt, of all things, as in when I lean down on a hard surface it's tender and painful. I am extremely frustrated as I seem very "out of the box" with my symptoms. I seem to get random pain in non joint related areas most recently it's my neck. For two months it feels strained and painful. Help!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Difficult to sort out our diagnosis in this forum but also worthwhile to get a second opinion when one is not responding to therapy or the diagnosis is in question. You are in an area with many good Rheumatologists.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 41 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.