Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sed. Rate
lionbaby73 posted:
What does a sed rate of 55 mean? I know it's slightly higher than normal but what could it mean? Since my doctor had no time to interpret my results with me since I didn't have an appointment I just want an idea of what can cause this. Thank you

MrsAddka responded:
A sed rate 55 mm/hour is high enough, do you have too much pain? It is a rate of sedimentation of erythrocytes and it is higher when you have inflammation in your body (a normal rate for women is till 10)

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
While the normal result for a sedimentation rate increases as we age, I consider a result over 30 to be abnormal. Inflammatory arthritis like lupus or RA can cause this problem, bbut so can an infection such as a virus. If it is due to an infection, the test will revert back to normal in time. There are a number of other chronic diseases that also can be associated wtih a high sed rate.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.