Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
a good pan when u have sore hands
bleeski posted:
I've found a "fry pan" @ Target which I find makes it easier on my achey wrists & hands.It has two grab handles rather than the one long one.Made by Calphalon, actually on sale this week.Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone was interested.

xperky responded:
Thanks for the tip. Two handles are great. Lately, I've been so close to dropping my 3 qt CorningWare casserole when it's full and heavy. I'm used to wrapping my pinkies around for support, but they are weak now, along with weak wrists. I hate this disease!

bleeski replied to xperky's response:
You betcha.We have to look out for one another.I know what you mean about RA.I'm new to it and it certainly is challenging.

xperky replied to bleeski's response:
Bleeski, I am rather new to this as well. Just diagnosed a few months ago, although I've probably been struggling with it for about 3 years by now. Mine started in my lower back, then my feet, and now my hands, plus wrists, ankles, knees, hips, neck...It's like the RA decided to take over. The fatigue is overwhelming.

Where has yours started, and how did you find out you have it?

I keep trying to cook from scratch, but find so many things harder to do. I used to love to cook. Have you discovered a few tricks to make cooking and cleanup easier?

marzipana responded:
This is a great discussion! Pans with two handles are really smart. When I started having problems with my hands, I switched to Corelle for dishes and bowls. They are extremely lightweight and easy to handle.

OXO makes a lot of products that are easier on your hands. I really like their big V-shaped jar opener. Their vegetable peeler is also good. I also bought the electric "As Seen on TV" can opener that you place on top of the can and it goes around the can by itself. That one is a winner.

I recently needed new mugs, and spent a lot of time comparing, lifting, etc., before I made a decision. Sometimes the differences are subtle, but they can make a big difference.

Xperky, Corning Ware is really heavy, especially when filled with food. Maybe you can switch to metal pans or use aluminum disposable-type baking pans.

It's also helpful to get large-size tweezers, etc. There are also nail clippers designed for people with hand problems.

I hope if anyone else has any great tips, they will pass them along.

marzipana responded:
More ideas, in addition to my previous post:
Use an electric mixer to mash potatoes (don't peel them).
Get a good, well-balanced chef's knife.
If you can't carry a pot of boiling pasta to the sink to drain, use a slotted spoon to remove the pasta into a bowl.
Use nonstick pans for easier cleanup.
Get help with the hard stuff!

bleeski replied to marzipana's response:
Thanks, Marzipana & xperky! I'm sure others will find all these things helpful.Corelle is a great one & many other good ones.I can't lift several dishes at once so I just take them out one or two at a time.I'm also only 5'1" so I also have challenges with height. If my feet are bothering me I use a gardener's kneeling foam mat to stand on; my husband (who is very supportive) bought the foam tubing that goes around copper piping for insulation and cut a piece to put around my razor since I find it hard to grasp & was dropping it. It could be used on paring knives or other things. I have RA in my hands,wrists, ankles, feet right now.Also have osteo in back and have had two fusions in neck and one in lumbar.I will give more thought to see what else I can come up with. Thanks, ladies for your insight.

xperky responded:
These are some great ideas! I love the pipe insulation idea, as that can apply to all kinds of items, and it's inexpensive.

I really need that electric can opener. I bought a crank style with a large handle last year, but it was uncooperative from the start.

Thumbs up on the disposable pans. I buy the half-size steam table pans at Costco and they come to about $0.25 a piece. Great for oven cooking.

The microwave is a problem when I reheat a lot of soup or stew. Maybe I should use the cook top and lighter pots, like bleeski said. Got to get into new habits to adjust to the new me!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.