Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Viral trigger?
    An_246765 posted:
    I've had RA for about 18 months now and it has been very well controlled up until about 6 weeks ago. I got a bad cold and my RA flared a little after. I didn't think too much of it but I got another cold this week and last night started having another flare and this morning I'm stiff as a board again, which has been very unusual for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their RA flares after a simple illness. I've been told that the initial RA onset may be caused by a viral trigger that gets the immune system confused. Just wondering if other viruses can trigger the flares. Thanks!

MrsAddka responded:
    I cannot say this but it is very individual. It is going to be 10 years since I was diagnosed RA (now I am 24) and I have (almost) never been ill, I took antibiotics maybe one or twice in my life, but I got a light cold every year in autumn but my RA problems don?t change with it. I was said the same with a viral trigger but as I am never ill I don?t think this caused or started my RA.

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
    Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    36 of 40 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.