Skip to content
Viral trigger?
An_246765 posted:
I've had RA for about 18 months now and it has been very well controlled up until about 6 weeks ago. I got a bad cold and my RA flared a little after. I didn't think too much of it but I got another cold this week and last night started having another flare and this morning I'm stiff as a board again, which has been very unusual for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their RA flares after a simple illness. I've been told that the initial RA onset may be caused by a viral trigger that gets the immune system confused. Just wondering if other viruses can trigger the flares. Thanks!

MrsAddka responded:
I cannot say this but it is very individual. It is going to be 10 years since I was diagnosed RA (now I am 24) and I have (almost) never been ill, I took antibiotics maybe one or twice in my life, but I got a light cold every year in autumn but my RA problems don?t change with it. I was said the same with a viral trigger but as I am never ill I don?t think this caused or started my RA.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.