Skip to content
Viral trigger?
An_246765 posted:
I've had RA for about 18 months now and it has been very well controlled up until about 6 weeks ago. I got a bad cold and my RA flared a little after. I didn't think too much of it but I got another cold this week and last night started having another flare and this morning I'm stiff as a board again, which has been very unusual for me. I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed their RA flares after a simple illness. I've been told that the initial RA onset may be caused by a viral trigger that gets the immune system confused. Just wondering if other viruses can trigger the flares. Thanks!

MrsAddka responded:
I cannot say this but it is very individual. It is going to be 10 years since I was diagnosed RA (now I am 24) and I have (almost) never been ill, I took antibiotics maybe one or twice in my life, but I got a light cold every year in autumn but my RA problems don?t change with it. I was said the same with a viral trigger but as I am never ill I don?t think this caused or started my RA.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Fighting RA
I see all the postings about using Prednosone. I just want to say be careful as this drug will raise your blood sugars expenatially. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful