Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pets
Placerite posted:
I've had RA for 34 years and am seriously crippled. But I've been able to live alone since my husband died 11 years ago thanks to my 4 dogs. I can't spend all day in bed. I have to get up and tend to them. They entertain me, therefore taking my mind off the pain. When I do cry they're there to comfort me. If a dog is too much for you a cat can be a great companion. I don't know how anyone can live without a pet. God's special gifts.

Placerite

Do keep it to less than 4, LOL.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I'm glad you have your four dogs, Placerite. I hear over and over and over again on these boards how very important our pets can be no matter what life throws at us. Thank you for sharing your story here.

What kinds of dogs do you have?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

bleeski responded:
I agree with the comforting power of pets.We got our two six week old golden retriever sisters in Feb & I was diagnosed with RA in July (lots of symptoms during that time).For a few moments I wondered how I was ever going to be able to take care of them & then realized how they were taking care of me.I don't know how I would get through this without them.

xperky responded:
Placerite, it is so true! They are gifts indeed. If I shuffle, rather than walk, over to their food bowl, they don't mind a bit. They love to hear my complaints too...LOL.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.