Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Did I Sprain My Ankle Because of RA?
Born_to_be_blonde posted:
I am fairly clumsy... okay, okay...I am usually VERY clumsy. I was walking down the steps at the front of my house to look at our Christmas lights my husband spent all day putting up. The next thing I know I heard a pop from my ankle and down I went. My ankle just gave out. I didnt step funny and my son was behind me said the same thing. I stepped down flat and I just went down. Im 27 with RA and have recently been diagnosed. Im wondering if my ankle sprain was just a freak accident or if maybe the RA played a part in it. Has this happened to you? Should I bring it up to my doctor? Body parts shouldnt just pop and not work... right?

Take the Poll

Have you sprained or broken any body parts due to your RA?
  • Yes
  • Im not sure
  • NO
  • Your crazy Lady... this is NOT associated to RA
vote
View Poll Results

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
If a patient of mine came to me with that complaint I would not typically blame it on RA. If it recurred or she had mechanical symptoms such as painful popping I would refer to an ortho physician, ideally one with expertise in foot and ankle issues.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.