Skip to content
MTX questions.
Tammy62 posted:
Dr visit yesterday confirmation of RA. Dr decided to begin with MTX. She also gave me frolic acid and prednisone. I'm. Thankful for the prednisone because it did help last time. A bit scared to start the methotrexate because my initial liver enzymes were elevated and she s going to check in three weeks to decide if I can stay on it. If yes she will increase the dosage. I take four pills for three weeks then increase to six and eventually eight. Is this normal? I spoke with someone today and she has been on methotrexate for six years and only takes three pills a week with no side effects. I have IBS and am worried the meds will make it worse too. Do most of you have side effects or are the horror stories few and far between ?

singingbear responded:
I started with 5 MTX a week and moved up to 7 after a couple months. I do take 2mg of folic acid daily and 5mg of leucovor once a week (8-12 hrs after MTX). I never had any problem with intestinal side effects just some hair loss and fatigue that has been controlled by the increase in folic acid.
With the MTX my doc orders a complete blood count and metabolic panel every two months to monitor my liver, kidneys, and blood count. I am sure your doctor will do the same and keep a close eye on the results.

Tammy62 replied to singingbear's response:
Thank you. I am glad to hear that you don't have the intestinal side effects. I am hoping all goes well and I am back to normal soon

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.