Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
RA
An_249631 posted:
I hate having RA. I was diagnosed a month ago and I am still trying to cope. I have had pain for 2 years and just finally got it checked out. Yeah i should have checked it out sooner but co pays and stuff held me back especially when I am already paying for antidepressants for my depression that also comes with a side of anxiety or the other way around. I am in so much pain everyday and I have no idea what to do. I am only 20. I have my rheumatologist appointment on the 17th of January and sometimes I just want to cry because I cant move. My fingers will lock up or I will limp because of my hips. I just need to vent and need someone to talk to about it because I am going crazy. It seems like no one understands if they don't have it. My parents are so unsupportive. They tell me to take a tylonel or ibuprofen when that does not take the pain away. I have fallen more than once because of my knees deciding not to work. I just dont know what to do anymore. Everyone says it's all in my head when the tests and doctors say its there. Why will no one help me or understand me? Is this the life of having issues? I already get stuff from my family that my anxiety disorder is nothing and I am over reacting. I just need help coping or something. Someone who wont tell me that it's all in my head. I just feel so alone.

Born_to_be_blonde responded:
Im so sorry you are going through this at such a young age. I am 27 and was diagnosed October '12. Nobody ever believed me either. They used to say I was making it up. I started to wonder myself if maybe I was making it up and everyone felt this way. I think I have actually had RA for quite a while but because I was supporting myself and going to college there was no way I could afford to do anything about it.

I finally graduated and got insurance and after going through a slew of doctors was diagnosed with RA. Luckly MTX will kick in right around 3 months and when you see your general doc for refills on your antidepressents ask for pain medication and show him/her proof of your RA. That's what I did and the pain medication has helped ALOT. Feel free to email me just to talk or to blow off steam at maggiemizar@yahoo.com . Im super close to your age so I can compleatly get how fustrating it is to not be able to do everything you want and to not have the same energy levels as your friends.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.