Do I have RA?
maggymae posted:
I am 60 yrs old and have not been diagnosed. My first visit is Friday. Mid December I started waking up in the early am with pain, swelling and stiffness in both hands, wrists, elebows, shoulders, hips and knees. The most pain is in my hands. I could barely get out of bed or lower myself to the toilet. I can barely move and what does move is not without pain for the first several hours of the morning. There is a lower degree of pain and stiffness all day. Some days are worse than others. I have been taking 800 mg of Advil at bedtime and at about 5am to be able to get out of bed to take care of my grandbaby twins. I have been told that this could be RA. I have read up on this and I am terrified. I would appreciate any feedback.

Pretzelady responded:
It certainly sounds like RA to me. Usually with RA, both sides of your body ache at the same time, like your right and left hand would both ache together. There are many diseases that have the same symptoms, but what you are describing sounds like RA. You need to see a rheumatologist as there are some tests they can run to see if that is your problem. If it is, the sooner you get treated the better, as it can be a crippling disease. I have had it for 13 years that I know of. I am doing well with a good Dr. and medicine. Make sure you go to a rheumatoligist as, in my opinion, they are best qualified to treat you. Good Luck

xperky responded:
I hope it is not RA. There are many other diseases they will check for too. Be sure to keep a detailed list of your symptoms and their timing for the doctor. It's possible you have a viral arthritis that can be treated.

Take care and keep hoping for the best, no matter what the diagnosis is.